India for long has been the biggest market for recycling ships. Most of the recycling is done in Alang which is in the state of Gujarat on the west coast of India.
- Alang has about 175 ship recycling yards making it the market with the largest number of yards.
- More than 100 yards have ISO 9000, 14000 and OHSAS 18000 and about 50 yards have fourth Certificate ISO 30000 certification.
- India can handle all sizes and types of ships.
- India pays better value for specialized ships like reefers, LPG, PCC, dry ships.
- India recycles about 350-400 vessels annually.
- India has a naturally suitable beach for beaching of vessels with about a 10 deg slope.
- India pays higher value for vessels due to the ability to pay better prices for usable second hand machinery, ship spares, non-ferrous items.